The University of Alabama Family Medicine Residency • Tuscaloosa is the only residency at the 658-bed community hospital that is the referral hospital for West Alabama.
WHO WE ARE
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA FAMILY MEDICINE RESIDENCY • TUSCALOOSA PREPARES PHYSICIANS TO PROVIDE EXCELLENT CARE IN FAMILY MEDICINE.
Offering a broad-based curriculum, the program nevertheless has a clear focus: to develop family practitioners committed to providing comprehensive, competent and compassionate care for the medical problems of patients of all ages. The program teaches the need for compassionate medical care to address the whole person and not just the illness.
- 2012The University of Alabama Family Medicine Residency • Tuscaloosa is granted nine additional spaces and becomes a 15-15-15 program. This makes it one of the largest family medicine residencies in the United States.
- 2004The College of Community Health Sciences builds a new facility that houses the residency. The building includes University Medical Center, the largest multi-disciplinary clinic in West Alabama.
- 1976William deShazo, MD, is recruited as the first long-term residency director. deShazo was also the team physician for The University of Alabama football team and Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant.
- 1974The University of Alabama Family Medicine Residency • Tuscaloosa recruits its first family medicine resident and officially launches.
- 1972The College of Community Health Sciences is officially founded at The University of Alabama and also begins to serve as a branch campus of the University of Alabama School of Medicine, headquarted in Birmingham.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA FAMILY MEDICINE RESIDENCY • TUSCALOOSA IS ONE OF THE LARGEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL RESIDENCIES IN THE SOUTHEAST.
We are one of the largest family medicine residencies in the country with a total of 48 slots.
A large, full-time faculty is assisted by numerous local physician volunteers.
We emphasize areas including rural medicine, obstetrics and sports medicine.
Enjoy the main campus of The University of Alabama, home of the Crimson Tide.
OUR TRAINING SITES
FROM THE DEAN
The University of Alabama
The University of Alabama Family Medicine Residency
850 5th Avenue East
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401