1. All applicants must apply through ERAS. The Tuscaloosa Family Medicine Residency only accepts the Common Application Form (CAF) designed by the Association of American Medical Colleges for the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). International medical graduates must write the ECFMG for the application. We participate in the National Resident Matching Program and abide by its rules. All applications received are reviewed by the Recruiting Committee. We accept J1 visas sponsored by the ECFMG. We also sponsor H1-B visas and pay the $500 Fraud Detection and Prevention Fee to the Department of Homeland Security.
Note: Please do not fax or email applications as they will not be considered.
2. All applicants must have graduated in good standing from an LCME or AOA accredited U.S. Medical School, or from a medical school recognized by the World Health Organization within the past five years. If the date of graduation is greater than five years, applicant must have remained in clinical practice since that time (preferably in the United States, but not required). Observerships and Externships are helpful, but do not replace this clinical practice requirement.
3. Applicants must have passed the USMLE Steps I and II, and Step II Clinical Skills, with a minimum passing score (as set by USMLE) prior to the deadline to submit our Rank List.
Our minimum standards are as follows:
- Pass Step 1 – first or second attempt
- Pass Step 2 CK – first attempt
- Pass Step 2 CS – first attempt
Note: In accordance with the examination requirements of the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners, applicants who have attempted to pass Steps 1, 2, and 3 a combined total of more than 10 attempts will not be eligible for our program.
4. A transcript, three letters of recommendation, and a Dean’s letter must be submitted before an applicant can be considered for a residency position. The three letters should comment on the candidate’s (a) medical knowledge, (b) clinical judgment and (c) character.
5. After the application is received and reviewed, applicants chosen to be interviewed will be invited by email &/or phone to schedule an interview. Please note that meeting the minimum requirements of our program does not guarantee that you will be selected to interview.
6. For further information, our methods of contact are 205-348-1373 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The nearest airport is Birmingham International Airport (airport code BHM). Ground transportation will not be provided.
Reservations will be made in your name for 1 night, at no cost to you.