1. All applicants must apply through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The University of Alabama Tuscaloosa Family Medicine Residency only accepts the Common Application Form (CAF) designed by the Association of American Medical Colleges for ERAS. International medical graduates must write the ECFMG for the application. We participate in the National Resident Matching Program and abide by its rules and regulations. All applications received are reviewed by the Recruiting Committee. We accept J1 visas sponsored by the ECFMG.
Note: Please do not fax or email applications as they will not be considered.
2. All applicants must have graduated in good standing from an LCME- or AOA- accredited United States medical school, or applicants must have graduated within the last five years from a medical school recognized by the World Health Organization. If the date of graduation is more than five years ago, the applicant must have remained in clinical practice since that time (preferably in the United States, though not required). Observerships and externships are helpful, but they do not replace this clinical practice requirement.
3. Applicants must have passed the USMLE Steps I and II and Step II Clinical Skills with a minimum passing score (as set by USMLE) or COMLEX prior to the deadline to submit our Rank List.
Our minimum standards are as follows:
- Pass Step 1 – first or second attempt
- Pass Step 2 CK – first attempt
- Pass Step 2 CS – first attempt
Note: In accordance with the examination requirements of the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners, applicants who have attempted to pass Steps 1, 2, and 3 a combined total of more than 10 attempts will not be eligible for our program.
4. A transcript, three letters of recommendation, and a dean’s letter must be submitted before an applicant can be considered for a residency position. The three letters should comment on the candidate’s (a) medical knowledge, (b) clinical judgment, and (c) character.
5. After the application is received and reviewed, applicants chosen to be interviewed will be invited by email and/or phone to schedule an interview. Please note that meeting the minimum requirements of our program does not guarantee that you will be selected to interview.
6. For further information, contact us at (205) 348-1373 or email@example.com